Wednesday, July 26, 2006

The Smart's Trip To Alabama

eMercedesBenz News - - Once upon a time, there was little car by the name of smart. smart was small - smaller than all the other cars, and as an unfortunate result, sometimes smart was teased.

"You're too little, smart," the other cars would say. "Nobody wants a car like you."

This criticism often made smart feel dejected. "Maybe they're right," smart would think, "maybe I'll never be able to leave these congested urban streets; maybe I'll never be able to experience the thrills of driving on an open country road."

Then, one day as smart was contemplating this very fact, another vehicle by the name of Mr. Hummer approached cute little smart. "Why the long face," Mr. Hummer asked."Oh, it's nothing" replied smart. "Sometimes I just wish I was bigger, that's all."

"Bigger?" asked Mr Hummer "Why bigger?"

"So the other cars don't tease me. So somebody other than these urban hippies will want me" replied smart.After a brief pause, Mr. Hummer responded with these solemn words of advice: "Son, it's not the size that matters - it's how big your heart is. You can be as big as you want, you just have to set your mind to it."

With a tearful, joyous eye, smart slowly looked up. "Mr. Hummer, you're right. I CAN be as big as I want to be. And I will be big... bigger than EVERYONE!!!"

And with that, smart was gone. Zipping down the road at his top speed of 70mph (or 65 mph when faced with a strong headwind), smart was off... off to become... bigger. Miles went by; then hundreds of miles; then thousands. Eventually, smart arrived at a small gas station, one that looked more like an abandoned shack than the gas stations he was accustomed to seeing. "What can I do ya for?" asked a one-toothed man, slowly ambling from the small shanty with the word "Gas" painted on the side."

I'm smart, and although I don't look like, soon I'll be big... bigger than everyone." The man looked at smart, slowly grinning. "Is that so?" the man responded. "Those are mighty proud words for such a little car."With a steel-tipped gaze, smart answered: "A friend once told me, it's not the size that matters - it's how big your heart is.

"The man paused, taking a moment to study young smart. "Son, I like your attitude" the man said. "I'm Alabama Jake, and I'm going to make you big.""Really?" smart asked "But how?"

"You'll see," said Jake, "You'll see."It turns out, Alabama Jake, or 'Bama as his friends called him, was Alabama's leading purveyor of monster trucks. It took time... weeks of reconstructive surgery, painful strength training, and extensive mental conditioning, but lo and behold, 'Bama delivered on his promise. Jake transformed smart into a true beast - a monster truck - capable of traversing even the most rugged terrain.

Eventually, smart went on to tour the world - smashing cars, being adored by rednecks across the country, and ultimately achieving global notoriety - but the one thing smart never forgot was the advice given to him by Mr. Hummer... advice he still gives to his fellow smart car brethren 'til this day: "It's not the size that matters - it's how big your heart is."

In closing, I ask you, my dear readers, only one thing: next time you see a smart, remember this story. While you may be tempted to judge the smart based on its size, remember also its heart - a heart unrivaled by any other vehicle. Then, ladies and gentlemen, you will see the smart for what it really is - a truly unique automobile.

For more info, head over to Autoblog.nl to view the now-famous smart, along with his new friend, Mr. Bigfoot.

No comments: